We’ve compiled a list of 30 inspiration quotes from Travis Kalanick on the keys to building a successful business.
Kalanick is a renowned computer programmer and businessman. He co-founded the peer-to-peer file sharing company Red Swoosh and Uber, the most successful transportation network company.
According to Forbes magazine his net worth is US$6.2 billion.
Travis Kalanick Quotes
1. I’ve seen people go out to get funding too early, often on a preemptive deal and give away half of their company, prematurely.
2. You should go for funding as late as you possibly can.
3. Go as long as you can scrapping, get your technology and your traction as far as you can and you will guarantee yourself the best fundraising process.
4. Funding doesn’t solve all problems, If you haven’t found product market fit.
5. Sales solve all problems. Hustle solves all problems.
6. The one who follows the crowd never gets ahead of the crowd.
7. As an entrepreneur, I try to push the limits. Pedal to the metal.
8. Stand by your principles and be comfortable with confrontation.
9. Grit your teeth and claw your way to success. There’s just no easy way to do it.
10. If your doing some good stuff eventually those VC’s (Venture Capitalists) will start reaching out to you.
11. Fear is the disease. Hustle is the antidote Whatever it is that you’re afraid of, go after it.
12. Allot of the entrepreneurs today are much smarter than we were back in the day. Their like way smarter. You know, they’ve got blogs; they know what VC’s are doing. They know everything that is going on in the space. Whereas back then there was no such thing as a blog.
Video below – Travis Kalanick on success and innovation
13. I went through allot of stuff to get to where I am.
14. If you go at it alone it will be incredibly lonely. So you’ve got to be up for that, especially in the hard times.
15. If you’re not tough enough, you don’t get gritty, you don’t hold onto your position; there are enough forces out there that will take you out. So the guy that are left as CEOs are the guys that should be CEOs.
16. In my day, it was just tough. You start a company in 2001, good luck. You can’t count on funding, you can’t count on sales, you can’t count on anything but crazy hustle.
17. I did a company called Red Swoosh which was four to five years too early to market. The first four years I didn’t pay myself, that mean living with my mom. That meant not getting any girls, that’s for sure. That meant allot of hard times. That meant hearing a hundred no’s a day, every day for four years straight.
18. You shouldn’t pretend nor shy away from the fact that you may have to fight for what is right because the world so often does not want progress.
19. Know what’s right, fight for it, don’t be a jerk.
20. If it means progress it’s the right thing to fight for.
21. If I try to solve everything for all people all at once, I’m going to fail at everything. But if I solve something and I do it well then I discover a little bit bigger area, then a little bit bigger area, then a little bit bigger area, then a little bit bigger area then the whole place. Then I’ve done one thing focused and solved a real problem that inspires.
22. Every problem has a solution you just have to be creative enough to find it.
23. Ultimately, all rules have to bend towards people and progress.
24. Go against the grain, be resilient, even if everyone thinks you are crazy.
25. In a lot of ways, it’s not the money that allows you to do new things. It’s the growth and the ability to find things that people want and to use your creativity to target those.
26. Uber is efficiency with elegance on top. That’s why I buy an iPhone instead of an average cell phone, why I go to a nice restaurant and pay a little bit more. It’s for the experience.
27. There are 100’s of thousands of Uber partners, and we are creating 50,000 jobs per month.
28. Our whole goal is to drive the cost of taking an Uber below the cost of owning a car.
29. We like to think of Uber as the cross between lifestyle and logistics, where lifestyle is what you want and logistics is how you get it there.
30. We do allot of creative things. On valentines day we distributed tens of thousands of roses to thousands of drivers. Every girl who got in a car after 4 pm was handed a rose by the driver.
31. My politics are: I’m a trustbuster. Very focused. And yeah, I’m pro-efficiency. I want the most economic activity at the lowest price possible. It’s good for everybody; it’s not red or blue.